About us

The history


Hotel Leopold

has a huge amount of regular guests, who enjoy to experience the flair of Schwabing and the personal atmosphere.

The house holds on in tradition, but it also commits to the variable desires of the guest. and it has not changed since five generations.

The beginning

In 1860, the present site was home to the “Ingolstädter Hof”, a coach-house with adjacent stables for horses and lifestock,
a courtyard with washrooms an a garden.

There has been making every effort to fulfil all desires of the horses, carts, farm-hands and tradesmen, but also of the noble travellers.

The first generation

Because of his enthusiasm to the invention of automobile Otto Lehner sen. built up a garage with a filling station which offered all kinds of petrol as well as a lavatory for cars and a shop which offered tyres and accessories. The filling stations was the attraction for all famous people from the districts as Schwabing, Lehel, Maxvorstadt and Bogenhausen.

The second generation

In the mid twenties Otto and Magdalena Lehner bought the area at Leopoldstrasse 119 with house and garden.

They floated there the first and only hotel in Schwabing at that time. After the founder Magdalena Lehner her son followed.

The third generation

Erna Kiefer, the niece of Magdalena Lehner, worked at the filling station and helped with the breakfast for the guests. In 1955 Erna and her husband Kurt Kiefer – son of the Prof. for Arts Karl Kiefer, took over the hotel. In postwar terms many people who were famous in Schwabing as Ernst Hoferichter, Arthur Kutscher and Lother Dietz (some his work of art is still to be seen in the garden of the hotel) visited the hotel.

The fourth generation

In the beginning of the sixties the daughters Gertraud Steidle and Hannelore Memminger started their career in the hotel. In the meantime the so called garden wing in which today almost all guest rooms are situated, has been built.

Founding family
Hotel Leopold
Hotel Leopold